Saturday, July, 13,2024

Latest News

J-K LG Manoj Sinha announces Rs 10 lakh ex-gratia each for families of Reasi terror attack victims

Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir (J-K) Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Monday announced an ex-gratia amounting to Rs 10 each for the next of kin of deceased and Rs 50,000 each to the injured in Reasi terror attack.
"A control room has been created by the district administration to provide all necessary assistance. A joint security force temporary HQ by J&K Police, Army, and CRPF has been set up at the site and a search operation is in progress to neutralise the perpetrators of the Reasi terror attack," a statement issued by the LG's office said.
According to officials, the rescue operations are complete and the injured have been taken to Naraina and Reasi District hospitals. LG Sinha also visited the injured at the hospital.
"The bus driver was attacked by the terrorists, after which the bus fell in the ditch. Nine people have lost their lives and around 37 people have been injured. The rescue operation started yesterday. The police, CRPF, and Army have launched the hunt operation," the LG Sinha said while speaking to reporters in Jammu.
"The people responsible for this will be severely punished. Our priority is to save the injured. We have decided to provide Rs 10 lakhs to the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to the injured," he added.
Also, a team from the National Investigation Agency (NIA) is assessing the situation in Reasi and the NIA's forensic team is working on collecting evidence.
As per the officials, the bus coming from the Shiv Khori shrine to Katra was targeted by terrorists at around 6.10 pm when it reached the Pouni area of Reasi district, bordering Rajouri district. "Terrorists opened fire, causing the driver to lose control and the bus to plunge into a gorge," they said.
"I went for darshan of Shiv Khori. While returning, some people opened fire on our bus. Later, the bus fell into a ditch. Several people were injured in the incident. The firing did not stop even after the bus fell. I think there were 2-3 (terrorists) there. My son saw a man firing on our bus from behind," a survivor told ANI, recounting the attack.
Another survivor said, "After having darshan at Mata Vaishno Devi, I went to Shiv Khori. While returning from there, after 4-5 km, bullets were fired on our bus. The driver was shot and then some people were also injured in the firing."
Jammu and Kashmir police said earlier in the day that at least two 'terrorists' were involved in the attack. "As per eyewitnesses, two (terrorists) were there as of now. A combing operation is underway in the area. Five teams have been formed to search in the area," Reasi Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Mohita Sharma told ANI.
Detailing the attack incident that took place at around 6.10 pm on Sunday, SSP Sharma said that the militants fired upon the bus yesterday. "Nine people are reportedly feared dead and 33 were injured and are being treated in different hospitals," she said.
While speaking to ANI, Bhushan Uppal, a former Sarpanch, claimed that the firing continued for about 15-20 minutes and the driver was shot in the head.
"As soon as we came to know that terrorists attacked the vehicle, we rushed to the spot and started rescuing people traveling in the bus that the terrorists targeted. When we asked the injured people, they told us that one of the terrorists shot the bus driver in the head. The driver lost control and the vehicle fell into the ditch. They (the terrorists) did not stop firing and kept firing for 15 to 20 minutes, because of which some passengers also sustained bullet injuries," he said.

  Share on

Related News