Sunday, June, 23,2024

Latest News

Delhi schools bomb threat: Email contains word 'Swaraiim', used by Islamic state since 2014

New Delhi: Sources in the Delhi Police have revealed that the email used to threaten over 80 Delhi-NCR schools in the early hours of Wednesday contained the word 'Swaraiim', which is an Arabic word used by the Islamic State since 2014.

According to the sources, the email ID from which Delhi NCR schools were sent the threat letter is '[email protected].'

The investigation so far has revealed that 'Sawariim' (clashing of the swords) is an Arabic word, that has been used by the Islamic State since 2014 to spread Islamist propaganda.

As per the sources, the Delhi Police is investigating if there is a conspiracy by any organisation behind these threatening emails.

Among the 80 schools, some of the schools in the South district were: Amity School Saket, DPS International Saket, Red Rose-New Green Field, and Apeejay School.

A thorough check of the schools is being conducted through Bomb Disposal Team (BDT) and local police but nothing has been found so far.

Among the 21 schools in the West district that have reported receiving the bomb-threat-email, some of them are- Salwan Junior School, Naraina, Guru Harkishan Public School, Hari Nagar, Mira Model School, Hari Nagar, New Era Public School, Hari Nagar and S L Suri DAV School, Janak Puri.

In the north-east district, Delhi Police Public School, Wazirabad, the Samarth School, Loni Road and Bhisham Pitamah Govt. School, B Block, Nand Nagri said that they received the threat.

In New Delhi's Shahdara district, DAV School, Shreshtha Vihar, DAV School, Dayanand Vihar, Bhai Parmanand School, Anand Vihar, Bharat National Public School, KKD and Vivekanand Public School, Anand Vihar were some of the schools.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) issued an official statement saying that the email appeared to be a 'hoax'.

"There is no need to panic. The mail appears to be a hoax. Delhi Police and security agencies are taking necessary steps as per protocol," the official release from the MHA read.

Lieutenant Governor VK Saxena said that he had sought a detailed probe from the Delhi Police Commissioner. He had earlier visited a school in north Delhi after news of the bomb threat.

All schools in Delhi-NCR to which threat emails have been sent were closed as a precaution, and the children were sent back. 

  Share on

Related News