NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed the US move, saying Washington had recently consulted with allies on the matter.
US President Donald Trump has decided that about 12 thousand of his troops will be withdrawn from Germany. Of these, 6400 soldiers will be sent back to America, while 6400 soldiers will be sent to other NATO countries such as Italy and Belgium.
Trump says that the US has taken this step because of non-spending for Germany's NATO military budget.
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was established on April 4, 1949, by 12 founding members in Washington, USA. The US bears about 70% of NATO countries' spending.
NATO countries have pledged to spend two percent of their GDP on defense by 2024, and Germany is still behind this goal. Last month, Trump said that Germany is not cooperating in the expenditure.
After deciding to cut the military force, Trump said at the White House, "We are reducing the number of soldiers because they (Germany) are not paying their bills." This is very simple. He owes a lot to them.
US defense leaders gave this information on Wednesday, detailing one of the plans of the Pentagon. This plan will cost billions of dollars and will take many years to complete. This decision has been taken in view of Trump's desire to withdraw troops from Germany.
A large number of troops will travel to Italy and some will go from Germany to Belgium at the European European Headquarters and Special Operations Command Europe.
The MPs have condemned the reduction in the number of soldiers. Although Defense Minister Mark Esper defended the plan on Wednesday, he said that although the decision has been taken after Trump's order, it will stop Russia, reassure European allies and troops in the Black Sea and Baltic regions Also fulfills the broad strategic goals of relocation.
Asper said, "We are removing troops from Central Europe, Germany where they have been since the Cold War. This will put American troops closer to Russia in the east.
Meanwhile, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed the US move and said Washington had recently consulted with allies on the matter. At the same time, the German Chancellor Angela Merkel defended Germany's defense spending, saying that it has increased and the country will continue to work towards meeting the two percent criterion.